Saturday, March 1, 2008

Legion (1)

Chapter Three: THE LEGION

After spending several weeks at home, after bidding farewell
to my family--both in Ostia and near Rome--I joined a military
caravan of new recruits and veterans returning from leave.
I was the only military tribune aboard. As for the details of
our trip to the Rhine Frontier, any sort of description would be
understated. It was a difficult journey in which we rode, walked,
and floated. Making our way through Northern Italy, we went
from gentle slopes to hills to mountains to the Alps that slung
up into the clouds. The journey was long, in that we had to
slip through the valleys, traverse the water-ways around the
mountains. Nothing was so simple as a straight line.

By the time we reached the Augusta camp, I was so wobbly
that I could hardly see straight. Met by an aide, I was shown
my quarters wherein I immediately collapsed and slept straight
through for more than twelve hours. The next morning was
the only morning during my whole tour that I was allowed to
sleep late.

Eventually I climbed out of my rough bed, pulled on some
acceptable clothes and ventured out to take a look at the
camp. I was rather dumbstruck by what I saw. The camp,
itself, was neatly laid out and worn clean. It was the epitome
of order! But north of the camp, what I saw was utter chaos.
There stood a strewed-out settlement of camp followers,
consisting of prostitutes, taverns, makeshift shops, and
unauthorized families of the legionaries.

I had been forewarned about these settlements of camp
followers. They were attached to virtually every military
post, except those located in the major cities of the Empire.
The cities served the same purpose as these settlements for
the legionaries. Officially not allowed to marry as a member
of the Roman Army, legionaries could only recognize any
mate and illegitimate children after they retired--after twenty
years of service. Legionaries were Roman citizens, but more
often they were poor and ill-educated Roman citizens. Still,
like every man, they had their needs--and these settlements
provided such.

Pondering on all this, our aide suddenly came running and
mentioned that I should dress sharply, so as to make myself
presentable to the legion's commanding general. I was
expected within the hour.

I managed, but barely. The general was a Patrician, a
hardened army veteran. I knew of his stern reputation. Even
so, he showed his good manners and was gentle with me.
I was the fifth military tribune, with a slot still waiting to be
filled at the Augusta. After some small conversation, probably
an effort to put me at my ease, he called in some other regular
officers to witness my sacred pledge. As a rule, standing
before his general, a military tribune vowed his personal
allegiance to the Emperor and to his commanding general.

Having done this, I was dismissed for the day. At this point I
might make mention that our then current Emperor was Trajan,
a virtuous ruler who had served over the past decade or so.
I was given to understand that once he had been a general
right up here along the German frontier.

Still exhausted from my long journey, I returned to my quarters,
fell back in my bed and got some more sleep. The next day
would be busy. I would be introduced to the various sections of
the camp, plus getting an idea what my duties might entail.

No comments: