Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Legion (2)

Back in the old days, before Caesar Augustus, military tribunes
occasionally were given command positions. There was a need
then, since the legions often were in combat situations. But
these days, what with a more organized, professional Roman
Army, along with less tension, military tribunes now are mainly
assigned to administrative staff positions. The point actually
is civilian-oriented, in that such prepares the young tribune for
civil duties after their military assignment.

So I wasn't surprised when I was assigned as a supply officer.
That meant being in charge of those legionaires responsible
for both the acquisition and guarding the legion's food supply.
No matter what I do, I cannot seem to escape the granary!
There were the local grains as well as grain brought up to the
Rhine Frontier by caravan. As for meat, it was mostly pork--
acquired from squalid farms nearby.

The legionairies had their own small millstones to crush grain.
And with braiziers they made bread and did their own cooking,
mixing rolls with porridge with occasional meat. And, always,
there was wine mixed with water. The camp-followers provided
other neccessities.

With my new assignment and some small amount of training,
I replaced a military tribune who was heading home. Shortly
afterwards I was also put in charge of the maintenance and
storage of the legion's weaponry, which actually included one
siege machine and some battering rams--though there wasn't
one enemy emplacement around to be crushed down. Those
days seemed long gone, though you can never tell.

Wtih Winter's onset the Augusta was now down to three tribunes,
with no replacements in sight. Consequently I was kept busy
with my double duty. But there was always military practice out
on the training field, just east of the camp. Legionaries were
constantly put through their paces when it came to "wedging,"
which was about keeping a tight formation with shields held
overhead. This wedging helped protect the troops from
oncoming arrow attacks. There were also implanted stakes
upon which the legionary would practice with his sword and
dagger. Probably with smirking centurions laughing behind
my back, I also practiced on those stakes.

And I continued to improve my horsemanship by visiting those
squalid outlying farms that provided us with food. And periodically
I would join my group and help overwatch the grain shipments
that came up the river on overland to our camp. Kept me in the
saddle enough to stay familiar.

However, in the midst of an Alpine winter the main concern was
staying warm. We all shivered over our braziers and fireplaces.
And if we ventured outside, we wore leggings, several tunics, and
huge fur coats or capes. I thought I must look like a bear.

Upon arrival of the next Spring, I finally received a letter from my
father. He made mention how well the family's shipping corporation
was doing, how much he was enjoying his grandchildren. Both my
older brothers long ago had married, and now had families. Lastly,
father mentioned that my cousin Sybil had married a Patrician.
He was an older man, a widower without children. So he was
looking for heirs, no doubt. Father and my aunt Eleana were
thrilled, in that eventually some of our bloodline would be a part
of the Patrician Order.

I was *not* thrilled. I should have been happy for Sybil, but rather
I was disturbed. Anyway, now Spring, a contingent of new
legionary recruits were arriving. Somewhat shocked over the
conditions of the frontier, of their demanding training, it was
well-known that at night some of the very young fellows cried
for their mother! Me? With no mother, I cried for Sybil.

No comments: