Friday, March 7, 2008

Legion (4)

Talking with the regular officers, as well as with some of
the Augusta centurions, they offered varied advice about
putting in for a regular commission with the Roman Army.
Basically it seems that the legions have not seen a lot of
military action since the Dacian campaign, carried forth by
Trajan when I was still working at the granaries at Ostia.
Of course that isn't to say that there might not be any future
military expeditions at any given time.

But for the most part, the Roman Army currently has bided its
time practicing and building roads, bridges, and aqueducts.
Not tending towards wanting to be an engineer, an overseer
of building projects, I sadly decided that I wouldn't see my
boyhood dreams come to fruition with the legions.

However, in the midst of all these discussions that I had,
another prospect quietly was entering my mind: the
Praetorian Guard. I really didn't know much about them
when I was growing-up in Ostia, only that historically they
had a dubious reputation. I heard otherwise from the
centurions. They said that if they had to do it all over again,
they would have tried to join the Praetorians.

The personal Imperial Guard for the Emperor, his family, and
his representatives, the Praetorians were an elite group, with
excellent pay that far surpassed the Army's pay. Also, one
could retire from the Praetorian Guard with a hefty pension
only after sixteen years of service. Compared to having to
serve twenty or more years in the legions, well this sounded
to be a good deal.

The trick was about getting into the Praetorian Guard. Italians
only! And only *equites* could serve in its officer corp. Well, I
qualified on both counts. However, they also only accepted
recruits and officers who were in really good physical shape.
This amounted to big, tall fellows. I was tall enough, I figured,
but I surely would have to work on my physique! So I would
work out more, make myself more rugged and able to cope
physically, during the remainder of this last year at the Rhine
Frontier.

Finally, I made an appointment to see the Augusta's commanding
general. I told him of my desire to join the Praetorian Guard, if
at all possible. I wondered if he might provide me with a letter
of recommendation. Indeed so! In fact, he was rotating this
coming year, going back to Rome the same time as I--so not
only would he provide a letter, but he would be glad to talk
to the Praetorian selection board in person, on my behalf.
Stirred with the excitement over all this possibility, this last year
with the Augusta scooted-by fast for me.

Returning home, the trip seemed easier. Probably this was due
to my traveling with the general's entourage. We had much more
comfortable modes of transportation. At last we sighted Rome.
I was home!

No comments: