Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Praetorian (3)

I set sail aboard a Navy ship, a galley with slave oarsmen.
Again, yet another exposure to an institution that I was
finding more and more distasteful. When living and working
at Ostia I had met imperial slaves, and there were slaves in
our households, but I always felt people there dealt somewhat
kindly with these poor hard-working slaves. Well, my eyes
were opened when I encountered the galley slaves. Told that
they were criminals actually judged and sent to the galleys,
they had to be treated with tough discipline. But what I saw
was more like "mistreatment." These galley slaves were
worked unto exhaustion, and many didn't survive more than
a few years enslaved in these military ships.

It's hard when young and idealistic, slowly, sometimes
suddenly, seeing the injustices that always accompany
human society. Protesting in my world might put you in
the galley, even if one is privileged! One had to be careful,
maybe working slowly towards some sense of decency and
justice. At the time, that's all I felt that I could do. Meet a
man or woman, be civil and respectful as possible--no
matter their position.

Once again I was sailing the same route I once traveled
from Ostia down to Naples. The Island of Capri was situated
in the Bay of Naples. Approaching the island via a small
craft, up close I could see it consisted of rising dolomite
rocks. And atop was the Emperor's villa, old, built by the
Emperor Tiberius long ago. From a distance it looked
gorgeous.

But upon close inspection, the Emperor's villa seemed
seedy. Parts of it was in a severe state of decline. I know
that various emperors had escaped Rome's oppressive
summer heat for the sea breezes of Capri. But over time
they also found new places to cool off. For example,
Northern Italy is abundant with natural beauty, gorgeous
to the eye, cooler to the skin.

Yet, here I was, in a declining paradise, prowling around a
decaying villa, with few imperial inhabitants. Hence there
was little to do. I explored the island, discovered its almost
magical grottos, and spent a lot of my time sun-bathing and
swimming. I didn't complain, but it was hardly the "military"
life I had intended.

While I was still stationed at Capri our Emperor Trajan
embarked upon yet another military campaign, against the
King of Parthia on the far eastern edges of the Roman
Empire. Knowing that some Praetorian units traveled along
with Trajan, I wasn't to be part of such. Too junior, I still
found myself luxuriating at Capri.

Happily my assignment on that island rock was short, in that
it lasted only some two years instead of the usual three.
I guess my earlier Praetorian training counted for some time
included in this first assignment. Quickly, I made haste back
to Rome where I would await my next call of duty. Was I ever
in for a surprise!

Upon return, my immediate senior officer asked if I knew very
much about the *Speculatore.* Not much, hardly a thing in
fact. I was ultimately enlightened and astounded.

No comments: