Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Respite (2)

I was nearly quivering with excitement when we sailed into
Trajan's harbor at Ostia. Bouncing off the ship, I headed for
our family's office at the port. I knew that I would find one or
the other of my brothers there. The little gatekeeper was
at first scared, seeing my short sword slung around my
shoulder. I guess he figured a Praetorian was there to make
an arrest. Seeing me laugh, he relaxed as I told him who
I was.

Ushering me into the office, I embraced both my brothers!
Like me, they were overcome with joy. Being some fifteen and
thirteen years older than me, my two siblings didn't look much
worse for wear. I probably did, after all those rides on the camel.
Anyway, we joyfully made our way to my older brother's house
in town. Word spread quick, and soon I was surrounded by
nephews and nieces I hardly remembered or actually had
never met.

This brood of the new generation ranged in age from fine
maturity to sweet youngsters. That precious day I immersed
myself in family, utterly happy to hear all that had been
happening over the twelve years I had been away.

Much to my amusement, my brothers had enacted my early idea
about sending our company's ships forth to Alexandria. Indeed,
they went even further and had decided to stride the entire southern
coast of the Mediterranean on to Judaean ports, where they could
capitalize on the Nabetean traders who handled goods from India
and China. In fact, soon, two of my oldest nephews would be sent
to Carthage to open a company office there. That meant residing
in that city, but these two strapping fellows were raring to go!

Following a wonderful time well spent, I then went to pay my
respect to my Aunt Eleana. Like my older brothers, she also carried
her years well. We talked of Sybil. We both cried together, but
afterwards enjoyed each other's company. Fortunately my cousin
Marc came riding home as I was about to leave. Again, another
marvelous reunion with a dear family friend. He insisted I stay
over night at the villa, before I reported back to the Praetorians.
He didn't have to twist my arm.

Since the time he studied with the Egyptian gardener in Alexandria,
he did go on to Athens to study Greek gardens and eventually was
hired by the city of Rome to help plan and oversee its many parks.
Over the years, his experience and reputation grew--and eventually
he was licensed as a Master Gardener by his union. With that, he
built his own landscaping business with the financial help of his
father. His roustabout brothers had already received their share,
when they went into the property management business.

I was very pleased for Marc. Here was a gentleman who did look
into himself, decided where his natural inclinations would lead him,
and followed through. And he did it while young! I applauded him
in my mind. Than again, I knew what I wanted to do, who I wanted to
be, when young. But, now, my living the military life was drawing
to a close. Again I had to ask myself "what's next?"

In the meanwhile I was still a Praetorian. Reporting in at the Camp,
I was shown my rooms--where, relieved, I found my traveling chests
stashed in a corner. I was given deference as a senior officer with
the Speculatore unit and was assigned to their committee that
reviewed all incoming information, determining whether any of
these courier reports were of any significance to selected officials
of the Imperial Service.

The months rushed past, and suddenly the day of my retirement
had arrived. I was guaranteed a hefty pension. I was allowed to
keep the Praetorian pendent which I wore around my neck. It
was an engraved eagle standing on a round platform, symbolizing
the Roman Eagle rising forth all around the Empire. I did have to
give over all my military gear, including the short sword. At that
point I reflected that *never once*-- either with the Legion or
with the Praetorian Guard--had I ever wielded this powerful sword
against another.

Somehow that thought greatly pleased me, as I walked away into
an unknown life. I was now into my forty-second year.

No comments: