Thursday, March 13, 2008

Egypt (1)

Chapter Five. EGYPT

After a few days traversing across Italy, we arrived at the port
of Bari located on the Adriatic Sea. From there we were in for
some rather long open-sea voyages. First to the island of Crete,
and then on to Egypt. Again we were aboard Navy ships that
we were mandated to use. But there was no getting around
that they were safer to sail across large stretches of open water.

We enjoyed a two-day break at Crete. I visited the old ruins of
a civilization supposedly older than the Greeks. We climbed
atop a hefty hill and explored the ruined Palace of Minos at
Knossos. Supposedly a half man-half bull called the "Minotaur"
roamed a labyrinth below the palace, and was killed by the
Athenian hero Theseus. More interesting for me was the
breathtaking beauty of Crete and the striking blue waters of
the Aegean Sea. Good old King Minos had a great view!

Once again taking to our ship we entered the Mediterranean
and slowly made our way to Egypt. Approaching the coastline,
I spotted the great Lighthouse of Alexandria. Never in my life
have I ever seen such a tall man-made building. Measured
against a hill, it would hold its own! Drawing close we entered
the port of Alexandria, and with this began yet another phase
of my education--a "worldly" education.

Named after Alexander the Great, the city of Alexandria seemed
an enormous place full of not only the diversity of people but
also cultures. As I was to discover, the major groups who lived
in this city were Egyptians, Greeks, and Jews. After the destruction
of Jerusalem years before I was born, many Jews migrated to
Alexandria. The Greeks, of course, historically came with Alexander.
As for the Egyptians, well I can only presume they have been in
place forever. Upon first encounter, I was really excited to explore
this nearly mythical city.

But my excitement had to wait. We had to report to the Praetorian
detachment at the governor's palace. There were about twenty
Praetorians, most there to guard the pro-counsel. This was always
the case in all of Rome's Provinces. As for the Speculatore unit,
there were five Praetorians attached to it--two officers, one senior,
one junior, and three guardsmen. On patrol, one officer and two
guardsmen would go out into the field. In terms of protection,
three men are better than one. Also, the third guardsman was
available as a courier if any information was deemed critical
enough to be brought back immediately to the pro-counsel or even
back to the Imperial Service in Rome. While one officer was on patrol,
the other officer always remained at the governor's palace. These
Speculatore units had this set routine throughout all the Provinces
of the Empire.

I was also informed that two Army legions were stationed in Egypt,
with one situated near Alexandria. There had been a minor Jewish
revolt a short time back in the city, so the legion came in handy!
Mainly, however, Egypt was a peaceful place, content to be a part
of the Roman Empire. In turn, Rome was content receiving wheat
and other food staples grown along the rich irrigated land that lay
on either side of the Nile River.

The junior officer I was to replace would be in charge of my training.
After I had become adept out in the field, he would move to his next
assignment. Right off I expected a tour of the city or even a trip to
the pyramids. No, not quite yet. My first business was learning how
to ride a camel. Need I say, I was somewhat floored in more ways
than one. Approaching the very first camel I have ever seen, it looked
to be a mangy beast nearly as tall as the Lighthouse. My training
officer noted that not only was the camel mangy, but usually was
also mean--given to biting at every opportunity.

Climbing upon the hump of that camel seemed an incredible feat.
I can't count the times I precariously slid down the backside of that
animal, fortunately caught by an Egyptian camel-driver most of the
time. At first I was embarrassed being saved by this Egyptian peasant,
but eventually I was grateful. This poor man saved me from breaking
my neck ten-fold.

Eventually I mastered "sitting" the camel and left the stables behind.
Now I would begin to encounter the backside of Alexandria!

No comments: