Saturday, March 15, 2008

Egypt (3)

Nearly a year into my stay at Alexandria, I received word that
my cousin Marc was coming to visit. As part of his training to
become a master gardener, it had been arranged that he would
study for a half-year with a designated master in Egypt. Romans
loved their gardens, especially if they were based on Greek or
Egyptian designs. And Alexandrian gardens were world famous,
so here comes Marc!

Upon arrival I took Marc to his designated quarters in the Egyptian
section of the city. Frankly, I was really impressed with this
training program of his--very organized, very detailed. The
Egyptian gardener, with whom Marc was staying, proudly showed
us through his own delightful garden. I could see that Marc would
be in good hands. I only hoped that between the two of us, what
with our work schedules, that we might be able to spend some
special time together.

Some evenings Marc and I managed to spend some time
enjoying the social amenities of Alexandrian taverns. My cousin
was proving to be a good companion. He did tell me right off
that his sister Sybil had delivered a second male child, though
she went through a lot of trouble during her pregnancy. The
doctors told her and her husband that it would be medically wise
for her not to try to have any more children. This circumstance
somewhat worried me, but I hoped they would take the doctors'
advice.

Shortly before Marc was to return to Rome, I took some short
furlough and reserved some space in a small caravan of tourists
off to see the Pyramids at Giza. Marc nearly went zippy viewing
these awesome creations. Being of an artistic nature, he also
had an eye for the nuances of architecture. And he certainly got
an eye-full at Giza!

Upon his leave-taking, Marc and I talked about my older brothers.
They now had sons old enough to wear the toga. I was becoming
an uncle of a brood of nephews and nieces. Our family's shipping
corporation was expanding, actually securing some larger vessels.
In father's day our ships went to Hispania, Gaul, and Greece. But
under my brothers' tutelage, the larger ships were also now sailing
to Carthage via Sicily. So I suggested to Marc that he might make
mention to them to continue sailing along the African coast to
Alexandria, where a lot of money was to be made!

Watching Marc's ship sail with the tide, slowly disappearing from sight,
I was suddenly sad. It's fortunate when one discovers a true "friend"
in the family. He was on his way in this world, sharing his talents in
such a beautiful manner, building gardens that bring pleasure. Marc
mentioned that in the coming year he would be going back to Greece,
to train with a master gardener there. I told him to be sure and look-up
Quint, my old tutor, who now was a philosopher teaching at the Stoa
in Corinth.

Leaving Alexandria's harbor, I turned back towards my duties and my
travels. Along the way, I hoped to make Egyptian acquaintances who
could help me understand better the complexities of their ancient
religious cults.

No comments: