Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Praetorian (4)

It seems that the *Speculatore* is a small, but special unit within
the Praetorian Guard, and I was to learn that historically it has
had a rather checkered reputation. Maybe fifty years back, this
unit was about spying and even assassinations! But nowadays,
what with the Empire far more settled, the Speculatore engages
more in the collection of information throughout the various
Provinces, mainly to support the Emperor or his governor, the
pro-counsel. The Imperial Service needs ever forthcoming
information in order to help keep the peace.

So! Would I be interested in joining the Speculatore? It would
mean being assigned to a Province for at least four years, since
one year was devoted to training, traveling, meeting local
contacts. And it's quite possible that a "Speculator" could be
away from Rome as long as twelve years, since assignments
abroad oft flowed into one another consecutively.

Well I was tempted, though this business of assassination
disturbed me. I wanted none of that. My superior officer noted
that though rare, it could be an imperial mandate--but, as an
officer, I would only give the order to a guardsman to carry out
this unsavory duty. Rare or not, I really had to think over this
business carefully. My superior was willing to give me some
time to make any decision.

At this point, I received a message from my oldest brother that
my father had died of a heart attack. The Praetorians gave me
a month's leave to help with my father's funeral and take care
of other family affairs.

Shocked first, then intensely saddened, I truly loved my father.
He had been kind, devoted to my well-being, all without the help
of a mother. And he handled it so as not to cause jealousy
amongst my older brothers. A good man was gone, and I knew
that I would miss him immensely.

Following the funeral, placing my father's ashes in our family
mausoleum just outside Ostia, we brothers attended to our
father's will. My two older brothers literally ran the corporation,
so my father wisely left only a small corporate share to me.
Rather he left me his house in Ostia--since my brothers and
their families had their own homes--along with a considerable
amount of money banked in a safe place.

I left some of this money in the bank, but most of it I handed
over to my brothers to invest in our family's shipping corporation.
Also, I turned over the Ostia house. They could sell it, if they
wished, and invest the proceeds of sale back into the corporation.
Need I say that my brothers were quite pleased with these actions
of mine. Having done all of this, they left no doubt in my mind that
I would remain a "silent partner" in our shipping firm. And this
situation, too, gave me a sense of financial security along with
my Praetorian pay and pension when I retired. Best of all, I felt
very much a contributor in my family's corporation.

During this period I had hoped to see Sybil. She had delivered
a male child while I was down in Capri; but, now, I was told she
was again heavily pregnant and not feeling well. So I stayed
away. I did see my cousin Marc, who had just begun engaging
in a most unique venture. Artistic, he decided to go into gardening!
He had begun training with some master gardeners who were in
charge of Rome's city parks. I was pleased for him.

The month's leave over, I made my decision. Nothing really was
keeping me in Rome. Though not quite "military," a Speculator
certainly could hope for a lot of adventure! So why not? If this
business of assassination ever came up, I would have to deal
with it. Either I would avoid it, or I would quit the Praetorians--if
they didn't hang me first! As for information gathering, well that's
a business about which I knew next to nothing--but I would learn.

My superior was pleased. The Speculatore already had an opening.
I was headed for Egypt.

No comments: