Thursday, February 28, 2008

Interim (4)

First things first, however! Upon arrival at the Beneventum
camp we had to fork out our money to pay for not only our
training, but also our military clothing and equipment. Of
course these retired centurions looked to make a profit from
us Patrician and Equestrian fellows. Considering, I think
they did rather well adding this additional compensation
to their army pensions.

If we passed muster at the training camp, then we would be
alloted our military clothing that consisted of body armor, a
metal helmet with crest, a metal apron to protect our lower
body, as well as heavy studded shoes. We would also
wear shorter tunics than civilians, though as tribunes we
would wear white tunics with the purple stripe at the edge.

But for training we had to wear undyed tunics, like the common
legionaries. Harsh to the skin, but we endured. The Roman
short sword was a deadly two-edged weapon, though it was
mainly for thrusting. The dagger we wore close to our body,
learning to slip it out quickly. As for the javelin (or spear), it
actually was the hardest to master. Nearly as tall as the
average man, at first it was utterly unwieldly. With lots and
lots of practice, we finally mastered this deadly weapon.

Surprisingly, my best talent was in military horsemanship.
One old centurion laughingly said that I must have *true*
equestrian blood in my veins. Looking back, sitting the
horse turned out to be a godsend for the rest of my life.

Struggling through those three months of training, I felt
proud of myself. I not only learned to manage the weaponry,
but I also learned how to march and salute! Not trivial things,
actually. All through this training, both the large and small
aspects of it, we were taught discipline--not only honing
our bodies, but sharpening our minds.

At last we were sent off with a box of equipment and military
dress, pointed back in the direction of Rome where we would
receive our assignments. I dreamed of adventure, traversing
the sands of Egypt or being billeted in Asia. I was to be
disappointed. I was assigned to one of the Augusta Legions
situated along the Rhine Frontier.

I was told that this would be a severe posting--one located
alongside the Rhine River, nestled in the midst of the tall
Alps. Along with Britain, this post served as the far frontier
of Rome. It bordered the land of roving Germanic tribes, who
once savagely fought our legions . In our own time, these
attacks had quieted down and mostly now the Augusta Legion
served as a border guard. I was also told that being located
in the the Alps, the climate conditions would be harsh--as
compared to "sunny" Italy.

Well, I asked for it. I got a head-on lesson that being a military
tribune might involve some serious consequences! Still I
remained determined to follow through. I tried hard to look at
this assignment with the Augusta as a special experience,
wherein I might mature and become a seasoned military man.

No comments: