Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Interim (3)

Following my application, the Roman Military Tribunal system
started clanking its wheels. I was called in for an interview.
Standing before a small committee, I was told that they had
reviewed my family and friends. They also took note of my
work at the new Port of Ostia. All in all, I got good marks!

However, some of the committee members did question my
age. It seems that I was still rather young to put in my bid
as a military tribune. One member laughingly said that most
young Patricians and Equestrians "sew their oats" for awhile,
before applying.

Somewhat embarrassed by this, I mumbled around trying
to get a grip on this. Much to my relief the committee went
on to some other topics. Had I any semblance of military
training? Was I a decent horseman? I could ride astride
a horse fairly well, but I surely could learn more about
horsemanship. As for military training, I had zero experience.

Fortunately it turned out that my lack in all this was actually
commonplace amongst applicants. Continuing, the
committee members mentioned that there was pre-training
before one is attached to a legion. At this point I started to
feel more positive that just maybe I might be accepted as a
military tribune.

Joy, joy! The committee gave me a contract, in which I would
dedicate two-to-three years assigned to a legion. The time
put in would depend on that legion's particular needs. But,
first, I had to spend three months at a pre-training school
where I would learn the skills of the sword, the dagger, and
the javelin--as well as military horsemanship.

There were a small number of these pre-training schools
situated around Italy. In my case I was assigned to train
at Beneventum, a very old town in Southern Italy. By
caravan I made my way down the Via Appia. I was much
surprised by the sophistication of this town. It even had
a beautiful amphitheatre! But I soon found out that that I
would have very little spare time to engage in "culture."

Reporting to the training school, I found myself amongst
a new class of candidates. All of them were just as
ragged around the edges as me! But I was the youngest;
and, right then, I was determined that I was not going to
be the brunt of jokes. I would keep up in my training,
trying even to surpass my training if possible.

Then "reality" hit me in the face. The school was run by
three retired centurions, who were really rugged fellows.
Of course we knew that the Centurion was literally the
backbone of the Roman Army. Non-commissioned officers
who put in twenty years, sometimes up to forty years, of
service, the centurions ran the legions. They trained the
legionary recruits; and it has been said it was the best
training in the world! So our eyes were opened, and we
knew that we were in for one of the biggest challenges
of our young lives!

No comments: